Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

More Red Coats!

After the heads-up from a fellow blogger Jill Bielawski about why I shouldn't be thinking about anything with wool in it (except the kind that I knit myself, produced by humane producers), I started digging around for a red coat without any wool - no wool blends!

I found these coats at dillards.com - neither has any wool in them.  Both are designed by Jessica Simpson:

Jessica Simpson Notch-Collar Coat
$99.00 Dillards

Jessica Simpson Pocket Coat
$129.00 at Dillards

Both coats are made of a polyester/viscose/spandex blend.  Not exactly environmentally friendly because of the use of petroleum products to make the synthic fabrics, but on the other hand, no sheep are being tortured to make wool for these coats, either.  We KNOW how to raise animals in a humane way.  We know how to shear sheep's wool in a humane (not "by piecework") way.  Let's just start doing it, and leave the petroleum for gasoline and vasoline production.  Geez, people!  This is the 21st century.  Aren't we better than our barbarian ancestors?

2 comments:

  1. Great coats! I'm so glad you've decided to avoid wool and have been successful in finding nice red winter coats that are synthetic. Although synthetic often does mean bad for the environment, I'll still take it any day over the suffering and death inherent in today's wool industry. Even the "humane" wool producers kill ... not so humane. And not all synthetics are bad for the environment. This line makes gorgeous, animal-friendly coats out of environmentally friendly materials, although they are too pricey for me: www.vautecouture.com/c-2-coats.aspx
    Thank you for this blog, it made me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,

    Thank you for the link to vautecouture.com. I checked out the website and I really like the message and the ethics. I also happen to love the some of the coats! Unfortunately, every design that I really liked is already sold out for the third run! So, I signed up for the email newsletter and hope to get a heads-up when the next production run is scheduled. As far as the coats being more expensive, yeah, they are. But they are also custom-designed and produced by American-based designers, sewists/tailors and craftspeople, and the materials are sustainable and not animal-based. I've seen coats at Nieman-Marcus' website that cost more than two times as much as the most expensive coat at Vaute Couture and I like Vaute Couture's better! Truth! I was looking during lunch hour at the office today at some Nieman-Marcus coats. Well, you never know when they might have a sale, you know - and the ones I liked were all wool or wool-blends that I will no longer buy. I'm thankful all the new sweaters I bought have no wool in them!

    ReplyDelete