Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Bracelets: Make Mine Beaded

One of the women in our investment club makes jewelry in her spare time as a way to supplement her income, and she does pretty well at it.  She attends a couple different events each month and makes a few hundred dollars profit per month. 

Now that's a financial incentive, but I don't have the inclination to make necklaces and bracelets.  My schedule is fully-loaded as it is! 

So, when I attended a neighbor's party on Saturday where Mary Kay products and Just Be Jewelry were featured, I thought hmmmm --

Jewelry making has really taken off, or maybe it's always been popular and I just haven't been paying attention.  While I wasn't interested in the Mary Kay products (I'm loyal to L'Bri products, which work excellently for me and are aloe-based and almost purely natural), I spent a lot of time at the jewelry table.  There were several bracelets in particular that I really liked.  I'm not a bracelet wearer!  I ended up purchasing two to take with me to Las Vegas for presents.  I can only hope my friends like them, but when it comes to things like jewelry, taste is such an individual thing, one never knows. 

You know, I didn't blink an eye paying $18 each for those bracelets, but really, when I think about it, that's outrageous when I look at the stock at Sam Moon, for instance.  Yeah, I keep harping on Sam Moon, but for inexpensive and trendy accessories I don't think there's a better place to buy. 

I know beads and beaded jewelry have been getting bigger and more trendy over the past couple of years.  Those ridiculously expensive charm bracelets made up of individual beads/charms that cost so much -- today's equivalent of beany babies as far as I'm concerned!  I think some of them are pretty but, really, I'm not into wearing a mini-fortune of charms on my wrist that won't hold their value. 
Now, of course, the market has been flooded with fabulous fakes for cheapskates like me :)  Hell, why pay for Pandora if I can buy something I think looks just as cute for under $10 for an entire bracelet?  I'm not above using a purse gifted to me that looks much like a fake Coach bag, so I won't turn my nose up at inexpensive but trendy accessories.  By the way, those bracelets I bought for my friends -- neither of them were beaded but one did have some little mini-pearls on it.

Sam Moon has a huge selection of bracelets; these are just three of many that show the range of the "beaded" look.  They're not Pandora charm bracelets, but I'm not into the charm bracelet look:
Sam Moon:  Filigree Ball Stretch Bracelet
  • .75" Beads
  • Burnished Silver Metal
  • Polished Silver Beads
  • Stretches To Fit Most
$6.99
Item #: 368930
Sam Moon: Multi Bead Stretch Bracelet
  • Burnished Gold Metal
  • Black, Brown Wooden, And Dark Green Beads
  • Silver Faceted Rhinestones
  • Stretches To Fit
$5.99
Item #: 365938
Sam MoonFashion Stretch Bracelet
  • Multicolor Genuine Glass Beads
  • Square and Circle Beads
  • Stretches to Fit
$4.50
Item #: 359796
I selected the first one because I like it's "substantial" look and while I'm not a fan of silver toned jewelry normally, in this style I think it's perfect. This is probably the most traditional looking bracelet - it is symetrical in design.  It has an Indian vibe that I like.

I selected the second bracelet because I like earth tones; I find the polished beads appealing next to the wood, and I like the juxtaposition of the silver toned divider beads with the warmer gold tones. 

The third bracelet is delicate looking and reminds me of something a fairy princess would wear - not exactly sure why; maybe because it looks youthful and fun.  It's a pretty little bracelet for a pretty little price! 

I stopped by at Overstock.com and found many La Preciosa bracelets for sale for under $20.  This is typical of what I saw - I selected this one because I the "black/white" scheme appealed to my chessly sensibilities:

Overstock.com:  La Preciosa Glass Silverplated Black
Glass Bead and Charm Bracelet
$17.99
Item#: 13647571
This pretty bracelet from La Preciosa features black glass beads in various designs that alternate with silverplated beads and a single charm bead. The snake bracelet is crafted of silverplated base metal and secures with a lobster claw clasp.

If you want to buy gold and silver, you can always shop at Pandora :)

No comments:

Post a Comment