Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Owls!

While digging through my stash of decorating stuff a few days ago, I came across these two miscreants:


Can't you tell by their expressions, they're already planning no good! 

They are designed to hold small votive candles or something larger.  They both have openings in their backs to easily insert a votive candle holder or small candle; they both have holes in their heads (LOL!) as well as the front ventings you can see.  In addition, the shorter owl has venting "slits" cut into its two wings.

These were given to me by one of my sisters some years ago, perhaps 2003 or 2004.  I used them once, and put them away.  Because - THEY'RE UGLY!!!!!!!


Well, maybe that is an overstatement, but trust me, they look better in these photographs than they do in person!  It grieves me to say so.  After all, the owl is a harbinger of the Goddess. Some of the oldest cave drawings in Europe show owl-like birds in close association with female fertility symbols, dated to perhaps 14,000 or 15,000 years ago. Much later, in ancient Greece, the owl was the companion and psychopomp of the Goddess Athena.  One of Athena's attributes was "wisdom," and thus the owl became closely associated with wisdom, similar to the Christian concept of "Sophia" being associated with the Holy Spirit in the form of a Dove. 

I don't like the colors this owl is painted, but generally speaking, and proportionally, she is cute.  I think she would look great in my bedroom, but I need to repaint her -- only, what color?  Or colors?


Here is the larger owl.  Notice the cock-eyed eyes!  Oy!  Artistically, not as finely rendered as the smaller owl.

But - if they are meant to be a "couple" (you know what I mean), who am I to break them up?  Or maybe they are mother and daughter.  Or sisters.  Or big brother and small sister, or big sister and small brother.  Or mother and father.  Hooo hoooo hooooooo knows....

So, should I repaint both owls and hope for the best?  Should I even be worried about owls, since after all, they are "fashionable" right now, which generally means I ignore them because they are "trendy" and darlings, I just do not do "trendy." 

No comments:

Post a Comment