Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Decorating a Room Using World Market Online

One of my favorite routines on Sunday morning is to settle into the sofa with a cup of coffee at hand, smooth jazz playing softly on the computer (substitute for radio since we don't have any local smooth jazz stations anymore, alas), and the big fat Sunday newspaper spread out before me.  A cushion goes on top of the coffee table, feet go up, and it ahhhhhhhhh time.  I can spend 3 hours easily just reading the paper page by page (not including Classifieds, most of the Home Section or the car ads) and then looking through the colorful enclosed ads and flyers.

Today the flyer from World Market caught my eye.  They always have nice stuff, but today I went wow - I like that and gee, I like this, and oh my, I would love to have that!  So much so that I decided hey, try putting together a room just using stuff from World Market. 

I pulled up World Market's website and lo and behold, on orders over $150, there is free shipping for a limited time.  So if any of you are interested in making a substantial purchase, the time is right!

My inspiration is loosely (very loosely) based on this room from the July/August 2012 House Beautiful edition on small rooms.  Now I don't think this living room is exactly small, but it's not as large as many I've seen that people have labeled "small."  The "little cottage" in the article is 1,650 square feet, which happens to be the square footage of my be it ever so humble Maison Newton.  So it caught my eye.  Here are two views:



I love so many things about this room.  However, my room won't necessarily be a Rasphody in White.

So, let's see what I can find at World Market Online.  I'm shopping right as I'm blogging:

The I fell in love with this little loveseat in the print ad, the Erin button-tufted with turned legs in dark stain.  It's a sort of mini-sale since the regular price is $450; sale price is $400.  Well, better than nothing:


As you can see, it's not exactly pristine white like the inspiration sofa and its, well, not a sofa!  But I love its lines and proportions.  Dimensions:  60" (5 ft.) long, 30" deep, 32" tall.  The buttons are not covered in the same linen as the upholstery.  Nope, they are all in different prints and colors.  I don't like that,  but they could be covered over or painted.

The inspiration photos boast three comfy looking chairs, including a piped skirted club chair and two sleek arm chairs in a greige sort of textured upholstery with a white "stripe" down the center. They remind me of a wing chair, without the wings.  Very cool!  Well, I don't think I'll find the white stripe, but this style of chair really appeals to me and I think would make a fine substitute:




This is the Caper Elliott Wingback chair.  Ain't he a beauty!  Look at the profile, and the nailheading, oooooh, my heart goes pitter patter (even without my arrythmia).  Full price is $330, on sale right now for $270.  Dimensions:  31.7" wide, 31.7" deep, and 40" tall.

I like this style of chair so much, and the color too, that I'm tempted to go with three of them arranged in a semi-circle facing toward the love seat, which is, of course, the place for the Queen of the House to hold Court!   My only qualm is that, at 40" tall, The Elliott Wingback chair might be a little bit too tall for the 32" tall Erin loveseat.

I didn't find any skirted club chairs at World Market, but I did find a companion chair to the "cute as a button Erin" loveseat!  Here is the cute as a button Erin chair!  It's regularly $280, on sale for $240.  Dimensions: 27" wide, 31" deep, 36" tall.




A couple of them on either side and the Elliott wing chair opposite the love seat in a semi-circle would work too.

As would this neat little chair, at a neat little price of $150 on sale (normally $180).  It's the Green Ikat Darby chair and would look very well with the Elliott wing chair, while its dimensions and its color would also go with the Erin love seat:


At 26" wide, 29" deep and 31" tall, two of these would fit nicely side by side at a 90 degree angle to the love seat, and one Elliott wing chair in the gorgeous caper color would anchor the opposite side.

I didn't think I would, but I also found a round coffee table.  It's not a white marble top but the color would go very well with the wood tones of the furniture legs.  It's 34.5" in diameter and 19" high, so not skimpy (but not as large as the custom made table in the inspiration photo), and I love the look of the iron campaign style base!  And, the dark wood top could always be painted a complimentary creamy white color and distressed...  Best of all, this is also on sale for $120 (regularly $150), the Walker Campaign Coffee Table:

Can I find a rug at World Market Online to give me the "look" of the Berber rug in the inspiration photos?  Let's see --

Well, there is this wool Floktati rug (100% wool pile with polypropylene backing) in ivory:



The 8' x 10' size is $569.  Two 4' x 6's would cost 2 x $120 or $240 and give you coverage on an 8' x 6' area (also easier to clean in a large commercial washer at a Scrub-a-Dub) or you could even go wirth a third rug to cover 12' x 6'; if you wanted to get "crafty", you could perhaps stitch the seam(s) together (temporarily) with some dark colored braided yarn to get the "look"

A little less budget friendly is a wool/cotton blend shag rug in "natural":



The 5' x 7' size is $229; the 8' x 10' size is $599.  Two 5' x 7's would cover 10' x 7' for about $460.  Of course, being cotton and evidently reversible, it would last forever!  Cleaning would be an issue though (as it could also be with the floktaki rug) -- can't vacuum it, must be professionally cleaned.  Guess that excludes throwing it into a large commercial washer!

One final touch for major furniture:  a bookcase.  There is a bookcase in the inspiration photo that sort of looks built-in (at the end of the staircase wall) but I'm not sure it isn't free-standing.  I saw this Campaign Bookshelf at World Market and thought it would be a great addition to my fantasy room:



It's on sale for $240, normally $280.  Dimensions: 29.9" wide, 16.3" deep, and 72" tall, so it's a big bookshelf, but the open sides and back, in addition to the creamy color, give it a "light" appearance. 

If I were decorating my living room, I would buy two bookshelves, to flank the fireplace.  The loveseat would be opposite the fireplace (just as in the inspiration photo), coffee table centered on it; I think I'd choose the Green Ikat Chairs, and those would hold down the staircase wall at 90 degrees to the fireplace and loveseat; an Elliott Wingback Chair would be placed opposite the Ikat chairs.  I'd add a small table between the Ikat Chairs and a larger side table next to the Elliott Wingback and perhaps a round tufted ottoman (in a complimentary shade of green) close to the fireplace that could be pulled over to put one's feet up.

So, there you have it!  It took awhile (I was doing laundry in between and kept running to the deck to throw more nuts to my squirrels -- I have two little ones in the big tree and they are so adorable!) but I did find the room essentials all online and all at World Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment