Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, September 17, 2012

A Beautiful Bedroom: The Look for Less!

Hola darlings!

Well, I need to distract myself. This has been the Summer from Hell at Maison Newton and, unfortunately, no end in sight.  My Mom is sick.  She's 85 - okay, lived a long life, etc. etc.  But she's still my Mom.  I can't really focus my brain right now on anything, not even my own health issues.  Like - Damn, People!  Damn!

So, tonight I picked out this photograph of a "neutral" bedroom with "animal print" elements in it from the Traditional Home Magazine online and decided to see if I can duplicate it for "less."  Mind you, I've no idea, actually, what the original elements cost, but as we know they were featured in a Traditional Home room, changes are they're more than I would ever dream of paying for an entire house of furniture, let alone a single room :)

So now, onto distraction!

Here is the link (I hope) to the photo of this room from Traditional Home online. 

Tomorrow I'll put up photos of the storm damage around my house that occurred earlier today when a violent storm system blew through just before 4 pm. I was at work.  We got a torrential downpour downtown around my building but no violent winds that I could see, no tons of thunder and/or lightning or hail.  I came home around 8:10 pm from the hospital, flicked on the light out back to a scene of - well, let's just say Mother Nature threw a rather wild party.  I had hints of her follies on the 9 block walk home from the bus stop -- I could see tree limbs down, and lots of leaves plastered in places where they wouldn't normally be plastered!  Wow!  It was too dark out to take photos, even with the flash, and I'm in no shape to do it in any event.  Some folks got hit a lot worse than I did.  At least I didn't have a foot of hail stones piled up against my patio door!

Here's the bedroom! I love the decidedly traditional slant of the decorating; but notice that no nightstands are flanking the bed -- and no mirror (starburst or otherwise, ha!) or painting above the bedstead!  This room is remarkable, actually, for its lack of wall decoration.  It is not by any means devoid of decorative elements, but the ones that are present are all the more striking for the restraint in which they were used.  Of course, the reading lamps are in the ceiling, and there are individual control panels on either side of the bed head (you can just see the one peeking out on the left side of the bed, about in the center at the edge of the striped pillow!)

So, let me see what I can make of this room for those of us of more modest pocketbooks. I will look at (1) bed) (2) dresser (3) mirror (4) love seat (5) secretary/desk (6) side chair.  Right now, I need to go to bed and try to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment