Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Satin Sheets = Epic Fail!

Around November 17 or 18, I had stopped at the TJ Maxx store that's about a mile from where I live.  I was on the hunt for other things but you know how it goes, sure enough, I came across a full-size set of red satin sheets on sale for $16.99 that has FOUR pillow cases!  Oh Heaven, I thought, now I can finally add that touch of red bedding to my bedroom while I still have the Jacquelyn Smith black and white toile comforter and shams on the bed!  So, home the sheet set came with me.




I'd intended originally to add it to my bed in January or February, but yesterday, the first day of my four-day weekend woo woo!, I pulled the set out of its packaging, washed and dried it and put it on the bed.  I was in a festive holiday mood, after having my friend over yesterday for Christmas lunch and gift-exchange, and I thought the red sheets would add a lovely touch of holiday cheer to my bedroom.

I'm in love with the color of these sheets.  It's not a perfect match for my red, black and white floral Penney's valances (I have a matching comforter but that sucker is HEAVY and so far it hasn't been cold enough to warrant using it), but it's assez bon (my motto). 

Here are some not very good photos I took last night of the red satin bedding with glimpses of my red valances. I also finally replaced the white tie-backs on the canopy (came with) that I did not like, with some sheer red ribbon in a complementary tone.





I love the look, but the sheets are not staying on the bed after last night.  I slipped and slid all over the mattress, couldn't get my down pillows situated properly or the comforter either, comforter and pillows kept sliding this way and that way on the slippery satin!  I actually thought I might slide right out of my bed, eek!  While I managed to stay on the mattress, it was not a restful night.  I love how they feel, soft and silky and sensuous, but they are just not conducive to a good night's sleep for this femme.   

I may try mixing the bottom sheet with a cotton top sheet, and possibly try using the satin top sheet by itself during the summer, with a cotton fitted sheet on the mattress and no spread or comforter to slip and slide.  I cannot use the satin pillow cases on my sleeping pillows (down-stuffed), and since they are pillow cases and not shams -- well, I'll see how they look like on the back pillows that are for decoration during the day but prop me up during the night, so that probably won't work either if the cotton-covered down pillows keep sliding off the satin covered pillows!  Ach!  It seems if I want to use the pillow cases at all, they'll have to be on purely decorative pillows.  Yes, I know, pillows are inexpensive, but do I really want six pillows in my not-very-large master bedroom?  NO!  And I don't want to be swapping out pillow covers every night, either.

Yep, I've essentially wasted $16.99 plus sales tax on these pillows and sheets I may never be able to use as intended.  Drat!  Too bad I've already got a rose-red damask tablecloth for my dining table, the flat sheet could easily be made into a round tablecloth.  This set may end up being donated to the Purple Heart or St. Vincent dePaul. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom looks so romantic!
    Wish you a happy new year to you and your family!
    Love, Olga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your terrible Satin experience. It's not for everyone. But here is an idea - if you love the comfort, why don't you try a Satin pillowcase? Super comfy, plus it's good for your skin and hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did donate the sheets to the Purple Heart Veterans, but I kept the pillow cases and tried them out again recently. Without the sheets, the pillows behaved much better and since I have read that the satin is gentler on one's hair, I will use them more often.

    ReplyDelete