Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, August 30, 2013

A New York Beauty!

Hola Darlings!

I have to tell you, Manhattan is one of my favorite places in the world to visit.  Wish I could afford to live there, no lie.  I can't.  But I can dream.  And I can afford occasional visits because, remarkably enough, when it's on sale, the round-trip airfare between Milwaukee and LaGuardia is very reasonable.  The hotels, of course, are outrageous -- another story.

But I'm planning my third trip to Manhattan, I love it so.  This one will be without my Mr. Don. Sort of a test, I guess.  He died on October 12, 2012.  That happens to be the same day of another Hales Corners Chess Challenge coming up soon -- I think it is Challenge XVIII?  I cannot keep count.  What I can tell you for sure is that since Hales Corners Challenge VIII, I've been providing money for prizes for the chess femmes. 

Well, you all don't care much about chess, I'm sure, LOL!  But it's a large part of my life, and has been since 1999.  And before then, too.  Darlings, if you ever get the hankering to read a wonderful book about a couple of 1980's style (but truly timeless) female adventurers who get caught up in an international whirlwind that just happens to have chess as a main theme (and a formula for an elixir of immortality that just happens to be embedded in a chess board...), track down a copy of Katherine Neville's "The Eight." 

Back to New York. Our first visit was in May, 2005; our second visit was in September, 2009.   I often read The New York Times online.  Not everyday, but often enough.  I love particularly the articles about apartment and/or home hunting, and today, I saw this article:  Escape From Time Square!

Cracked me up, it did!   As a tourista, Times Square is great to visit, but she's absolutely right, I sure would not want to live there year round.  Oy!

Here's a photo - the only photo, actually from the article.  The perfect personification of Midtown Manhattan style!  Tres chic!  I love her combinations  of pattern, texture, and furniture styles and the black/white theme (tres chessboard and take-offs therefrom, such as the houndstooth.  Dogs, actually, have a venerable herstory in the game of chess -- but I won't go there at this blog, its dedicated to décor and fashion, and family trees, after all...)-- check out the photo:


I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to see young, confident and adventurous well-educated femmes moving to New York City (and, indeed, all around the world to major cities).  YOU GO FOR IT, GIRLFRIENDS! 

This young lady, in particular, certainly has her decorating stuff together!  Point on blue walls, point on tweed re-take of 1950's mid-century mod style sofa (but looks sink-in comfy with three seat cushions to go with that tight back), lovely patterned tone-on-tone pillows, the flat weave black and white striped rug -- well, what can I say?  And note also the mod-look but classically styled metal side tables, the MATCHY MATCHY LAMPS, and the odd avant guarde touch here and there -- no centered mirror or artwork above the sofa (such a refreshing touch, mes amis), a nod toward Midwest kichke in the animal horns on the table on the left.  This young woman has opted to use a slight variation on the theme of a symmetrical style for this part of her abode.  Can't go wrong, there.  Kudos!

What's not to love?  Seeing young women such as this one, gives me some small faint hope for the future of our planet.  Maybe it's not too late...

No comments:

Post a Comment