Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, November 29, 2013

Feather Boa Wreath

Hola Darlings!




I wrote yesterday, T-day November 28, 2013. Today I bussed to see my primary care physician early, 8:15 a.m. appointment.  I was out the door of doc's by 9:20 a.m. and then bussed it to 76th Street and visited my local Family Dollar, where I picked up a large bag-full of sundries, and then hiked 6 blocks or so to the Pick 'n Save to get a new supply if cheap boxed pink wine and other assorted goodies, like pre-made chocolate cookie dough and Brazil Nuts for the squirrels, LOL!

And then I hiked home.  Whew!  Got my three miles plus hiking in today, and braved cold and long waits for the bus, brrrrr!

At the Family Dollar I spent all of $20 and a few cents. LOVE THAT PLACE! Gift bags, Christmas themed tissue paper, and two very cute holiday-themed soap dispensers (one for my kitchen sink, one for the downstairs powder room), a floral spray, 24 apple-scented votive candles, and 4 gorgeous 12 inch tall gold-colored candles, and I'm sure I missing a few things, but that's the gist of it.

At home, I figured out what to do with arranging my furniture in the living room so that I can squeeze the tree in front of the front window. I have to move the Queen Anne console table out of the room temporarily, but I do have room to stash it behind the sofa in the family room for the time being.  It's crowded now in the front room, but for the holiday season all the seating is totally centered on the fireplace and Christmas Tree (once it is up, that is), and that is how it is supposed to be :)

In between shoving and lifting and heaving furniture, I put together a sexy feather boa wreath, thanks to my friend, Darlene, who gifted me with SIX feather boas (last year I told her I liked them), in appreciation for my having done up her family tree a few months back -- traced one of her paternal lines all the way back to 135, woo woo!  I have FOUR feather boas left with which to decorate my Christmas Tree, got plans for that tree I have, I have...

Here's the wreath as I conceived it (see also photo at beginning of post).  I got the idea from online, but took out the crow CRAW CRAW CRAW:



I used my skimpy home-made autumnal wreath, made from wild grape vines that grow out back. I wrapped two boas around my wreath, fluffed it a little bit and hung it up. These boas have silver and light purple tinsle strands interwoven with the feathers that add a lovely sparkle in the light.

I added four battery-operated votive candles, two not quite as bright, as you can see in the photo.  I didn't realize how great the difference was until I put them in close proximity to each other, stashed "flame" downward wherever I could get good purchase on the thin vine wreath behind or within the feathers! I will need to switch out and/or put in new batteries so all the votives burn equally brightly.

What I really like about this "made in minutes" wreath is that you can see parts of the vine wreath still sticking out here and there:







Now I need to unwrap the Christmas Tree from it's sheet and at least get the bottom part firmly planted on the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment