Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bathroom Blues, Part 5

Hola darlings!  

Developments on the powder/bathroom redo front.  I contacted Lowe's a couple days ago about the whereabouts of my faucet.  Turns out it is on back order until March 30th, and I was given the option to cancel the order.  So, I did.  Now I'll get my $71.88 back (which they should not have charged me to begin with since the product did not ship). 

The question now is do I want to order the same faucet and wait for it because it seems to be on back order everywhere, or start shopping again and find a different faucet.

Getting something less expensive would help the budget stay closer to $350.

Light fixture and mirror - decisions made and items purchased.

Here are the other two faucets I had picked out before buying the Pfister Avalon faucet (cancelled order from Lowe's):

This is by Glacier Bay, two handle in chrome.  Under $25.  I found it at Home Depot.  It looks a lot like the faucet I put in the upstairs bath a few years ago with those "wing" handles.  The lines are simple and elegant.  This is also a low profile faucet (the Pfister Avalon was not low profile).


The little two handle cutey above is a Pfister Pfirst in chrome, also found at Home Depot.  It is a "green" faucet with low water flow.  It has a somewhat chunky and yet rather mod, sleek design that surprisingly appeals to me (I'm not a "mod" person).  I had initially picked it out to go with the first light fixture option I had settled on and thought I would buy -- white glass shades and a sleek chrome design.  And with the Avalon mirror (Kirkland's), if I'd been able to have it delivered to the house -- well, it would have been a very different looking bathroom from the one that is coming together now.  I don't think this faucet would "go" with the curvy Emma mirror I ended up buying.  The price is great, though - under $19!!!

4.  Flooring.

Trying to decide on one - it's tough!  These are the options I'm looking at:


Above, from Lumber Liquidators, Tranquility 2mm New River Gorge Mahogany Resilient Vinyl.  I can cut it with strong scissors or score it with a box cutter and snap.  It has adhesive around the edges only, and can be laid over existing flooring as long as it is clean and level.  I watched several videos about how to install it and it is as easy as it sounds. Reviews said if any little thing is caught underneath this flooring it will show, so prep is all important.  Right now this flooring is on sale for $0.99 a square foot.  I only need 24 square feet.  One box contains 45 sq. ft. and would run about $45.  Very budget friendly and I'd have a lot left over.  I really like the color.  I think it would look good with my dark vanity and creamy-white painted woodwork.  Many of the inspiration photos I selected have dark flooring with white woodwork.

The next floors are from Home Depot:


Above is TrafficMaster Allure American Walnut Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring.  It is $40.56 a case and covers 24 square feet.  I would have very little left over, I would have to be very careful laying the floor to not mess up!  I don't want to buy two boxes and spend $81 with a lot of flooring left over.  TrafficMaster Allure is applied in the same way as the Tranquility flooring (first image above).  There is a somewhat lighter cherry finish in this brand that I also like.  I decided not to go with it because I was worried the cherry would skew a bit too reddish against my dark vanity.

A more expensive option that is luring me in is light travertine look or marble look!  Although the bulk of my inspiration photos have, or appear to have, dark floors, a couple have light floors that are either marble or travertine, and they're gorgeous.  Check out this carrara marble look-alike in vinyl plank flooring:


This is TrafficMaster Allure Ultra in Carrara Oyster.  It has no adhesive at all, it is a click-lock floor and is waterproof (floors featured above are water-resistant but not waterproof).  The panels are 12" by 24" and give the look of real marble tile.  Isn't it beautiful!  A box covers 19.8 square feet and costs $72.67.  I would have to buy two boxes if I went with this option.  Thus, my floor would rise in cost from a modest $41 - $45 to $146.  Another issue is that this vinyl product is thicker and harder to cut -- heavy-duty scissors won't do the trick on this flooring. 

Here is the same flooring (same price), in Carrara White, and it doesn't look good at all in this photo:



If I go with a light flooring option, I want something that has greys in it. It's impossible to judge color on a computer screen!  Another concern is that many of the reviews mentioned that this click and lock flooring was very difficult to get the seams to click/lock properly and then stay that way. 

Soooo, I don't know what I want to do right now.  Next up - wallpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment