Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, November 28, 2014

Focusing on My French Campaign Style Canopy Bed

Hola darlings!

As you know, after the collapse of my bed the very first night I moved into this version of Maison Newton (my retirement home) which - alas - I took no pictures of the collapsed bed/mattresses - I decided while searching for a new (cheap) bedframe online to go, instead, in an entirely different direction:


I found this beautiful bed at Overstock.com (it is called "Bailey") and, as I discovered during subsequent research online, it is a close knock-off of the "Maison" bed that has (off and on) been offered by Pottery Barn Teen, except for the price:


Pottery Barn Teen: Maison  full-size Bed.  File photo.

This style of bed is a lot different from the traditional four-poster (rectangular shaped) canopy bed or, in my case, as I had installed at the former Maison Newton, a faux-four poster canopy bed that was created by hanging a four-corner net canopy over my bed's area and "anchoring" it to the bed frame:  But it is very very French, woo woo!

For months, I've been looking at online images of various dressed versions of the Pottery Barn Maison bed and its way more expensive progenitors:


Above is a decorated version of the Pottery Barn Teen Maison full size (I think it's full-sized) bed that I found online -- sorry, I did not save the specific link.  This bed frame is a brushed-gold finish.  So beautiful!  I love how the white and gold bedding coordinates with the stars hanging from the ceiling and from the bed frame.  What's so "junior" about this, I'd like to know!  Not many juniors would appreciate a Queen Anne-styled "tea table" as a bedside table or a turned-leg console table with a French-inspired bench (notice the Queen Anne style legs in white) underneath with a "sheepskin" cover on top to make it soft and comfy.  Subtract the silly "cat" pillow and voila!  Instant Parisienne sophistication.  Note the diamond-painted hardwood floor, what looks like an animal skin area rug and the grey, gold, black, and white/cream color scheme. Tres belle!


The image above has been copied countless times and, sorry again, I don't have the link available at which I found it.  But I can tell you based on information on the image at Pinterest, it is an RH (Restoration Hardware) French campaign canopy bed in a more masculine-feeling setting. What's not to love?  I was immediately drawn to it not only because of the color scheme, given that my mistress bedroom was already painted a medium tone grey and had a golden oak re-finished hardwood floor, I fell hard for the gallery wall(s).  So, I don't have plastered-over stone walls or a grey-washed hand-hewn nightstand and dresser.  A girl can dream, and maybe interpret some of the cool ideas in this room into her own...


The image above is from Traditional Home's Online version of its 25th Anniversary edition, and is titled "Pretty in Pink."  At this point in my life, I'm way past pink: I had a pink mistress bedroom in the first Maison Newton (1986 - 1989), and a pink mistress bedroom in several configurations from 1990 to 2009 in the second Maison Newton.  What I love in this room is the overall cohesion of the color scheme throughout the space and the soft, "floaty" feeling; and I liked the use of drapes across the wall, which is something I wanted to incorporate in my own (much smaller) mistress bedroom.

That soft floaty feeling...brings me now to the subject of bed curtains.  Because why have a canopy bed if it doesn't have a canopy of one sort or another on it in the form of bed-dressings or bed-curtains or at least a "nod" to bed curtains, at least part of the year (like winter, for instance, to give it a "feeling" of warmth?)  You'll notice that none of the beds featured above had any form of cloth or"canopy" on or over them, and they look great.  And yet...

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment