Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Big Lazy and Pinterest Pins

Hola darlings!

Well, since retirement D-Day I've been doing a whole fat lot of n.o.t.h.i.n.g.  Binge-watching the Property Brothers and Rehab Addict on Netflix and hunkering down during our nasty February and - thus far - pretty nasty March.  But supposedly the weather is going to turn - at least for a few days - starting tomorrow, with the temperature getting up to 30 F, 34 on Saturday, 38 on Sunday and 40 on Monday, woo woo.  I have to say, the Sun IS feeling much stronger and warmer on my skin, even today, with below-zero windchills.  I had to go for a mammogram and since I had rescheduled from a month ago when the weather was even colder, I bundled up and stuffed Hot Hands into my down mittens and braved the cold.  Brrrrrr!!!  Fortunately, since I was travelling by city bus during the week the buses are scheduled much more frequently than on Saturdays and I had things timed pretty well so I didn't have too long of a wait to transfer buses to get to where I needed to go.

Well, that's done for six months and the only dreaded up-comings are a couple of dental appointments I've yet to schedule and ditto for a full physical with my primary care doctor.  She will scold me, I know, for letting it go so long.

After I got back home this morning and settled into lazy mode again, I saw a nudge in my email from Pinterest, so I thought why not, drop in and take a look.  Well, I found some cool stuff -- here are a few:

First up, this great idea for using an old lean-against (not step) ladder to create a canopy effect over one's bed.  Never would have thought of this in a million years.  I tracked down the original idea posted at Pinterest, found it at Chipping with Charm blog:


The only thing I would do is move the curtains to cover over those large brackets.  I love her color scheme, BTW.  The light blue, white and grey, lovely.

And then, there is this absolutely stunning living room -- and more!  There are also pics of the dining area and kitchen -- all open to each other and perfectly coordinated.  There is enough inspiration in the living room alone to last me a lifetime, let me tell you.  I WANT THAT SPACE!  The link is to the first photo in the series at Flickr which I believe were taken by (or are originally from) Lynda Q. Davids' Focal Point Styling; I just kept clicking on the right arrow and more photos of the space kept appearing so eventually you saw every part of the living room, and then the dinette, and then the kitchen.  I cannot say enough about the sophisticated color palette and the absolute design perfection of these spaces.  Here's one of the photos of the living room:


The ethereal curtains -- there are a couple photos of them -- were found at a Goodwill store and were tagged $5.99 a panel!  Check out the photo series, it's just absolutely stunning.  Whoever put this design together won whatever the equivalent of an Oscar is for designers in my book.  WOW!

I also followed a couple of links to websites that gave some good step-by-step instructions on how to paint one's kitchen cabinets.  Yes, I'm contemplating doing the job myself because I do not want to think about how much it would cost to get a pro in here to do it for me simply because I'm being so damn lazy!

I read about two different approaches:  one used a cabinet restoration kit by Rustoleum and one used home-made chalk paint and deck sealer.  I have to tell you, chalk paint and deck sealer sounds like my kind of d-i-y job.  If I do go this route, I will wait until it is warm enough to rig up some kind of plastic-drape enclosed space in my garage (I don't have a vehicle so there's plenty of room to use it for such projects) and figure out where I'm going to lean 21 cabinet doors to dry and "cure."  Holy Hathor!  This kitchen is not large, and I just counted 21 cabinet doors!

Now I'm having second thoughts.  Thus is design paralysis created, geesh.  I've either got to do it myself, or pay someone to do it for me.  Hmmm.  Should the choice really be this hard???

No comments:

Post a Comment